Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Watching the Olympics

I was up late last night watching the Olympics, watching the Men's gymnastics team defy all odds and win the bronze. Some of you know that I hate NBC's sports commentators. Roger can tell you I mute Bob Costas on a regular basis. And I have never liked their coverage of gymnastics. They are often overly critical of the athletes. And last night was no different. The US was not favored for a medal because two of their top team members withdrew due to injury. So NBC did not even show the US until the 3rd round, before that it was all about China (who won the gold). Then something happened, the US men were actually putting up good routines. And after the 3rd round, were in the lead. There was even talk of a possible silver medal for them. And, I have to give NBC credit, instead of going back to swimming (both were happening live at the same time) they stayed with gymnastics. They showed all the US men's final rotations and that of the Germans, who were in 4th place. To me that is what it is all about, I don't always care about who wins. We often forget that they give 3 medals, not just one. So good for them, these six guys who were written off before they even started.

Jena has enjoyed watching too. She loves the swimming. In fact last night she stayed forever in the bath tub. She would splash around and say "I'm swimming!" To my surprise, she likes to watch diving. She jumps up and down every time they splash in the water. And she likes gymnastics and does her forward rolls all over the living room while we watch. I can't wait to see what she does for track and field! The Olympics have the Steeple chase, here at the Williams' house we have the Dog chase!

No comments: