Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Sunday, August 31, 2008

2008, what a year and its not even over

We knew 4 years ago when Dick Chaney announced he would not seek the presidential nomination that this would be an exciting election. Never in our life time have both side of the ticket been wide open for all comers. And through the primary season we knew that history was about to be made, but we had no idea it would turn out to be this way.

I read somewhere that this week marked the anniversary of the MLK march on Washington/I had a dream speech AND the anniversary of Women getting the right to vote. And I can't think of a better way to celebrate and honor these important days then what happened this week.

Roger and I watched as Obama made history as the first black man nominated by a major party and gave his speech on the anniversary of Dr King's speech. And while we were Hillary supports, the significance of the moment was not lost on us.

We were both stunned at the news of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin being selected as McCain's running mate. Roger said McCain is trying to "Out Obama Obama." I think McCain's choice of a woman only proves what I have said all along, he is really a Democrat. So either way, I win. And what a great woman to chose, a working mother of 5, with the youngest being 4 months old! (Right now I feel slightly inadequate, I can barely manage a trip to the grocery store these days!)

So, no matter who you are, you can't deny the historic significance of this election and what it will mean. I think we win no matter what because it is a sign of what is to come and how we have changed. I have never been more proud.

No comments: