Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Thursday, September 17, 2009

My next journey

With Roger coming to the end of residency next summer (YAY!), we are talking about where we will move next and what I will do when we get there. I have always wanted to pursue a graduate degree in Economics so I could teach at the college level. After college we were focused on Roger's college, so I got my MBA instead to further my career in business and accounting. After Jena was born, we talked about it again because I wanted a job that would allow me to work part time. I can teach with an MBA, but most schools want a degree in a specific subject. So I began to take the prerequisite courses I would need to apply for a PhD that I had not taken in college. Then the Army moved us to North Carolina. I continued to take courses, even considered applying to the Masters in Economics at NC State. Then Lily came, and I took a break. But I have continued to think about it and research my options.

At the beginning of the week a preliminary list came out for operational spots (doctor with a unit) for Roger to consider. It is not a complete list and we don't have hospital or clinic spots yet. But as we had suspected, there are no spots in Europe as we had hoped. We have thought this might happen after last spring when neither of the residents from here that applied for Europe received it.

So we have decided to focus on staying stateside. Not going to say where yet, but it will be hopefully somewhere I can go to school. Due to time constraints, I have decided to apply to Masters programs. So, I will have to take the GRE. My neighbor told me about some GRE prep courses at Fayetteville Technical Community College. I signed up for an online review that started yesterday. And I plan to take the test around Thanksgiving. Wish me luck!

No comments: