Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Making history

No matter what your political affiliation or thoughts, no one can deny the historic significance of tonight. This has been, IMHO, the most exciting election of my life time. Both sides were wide open, allowing us to hear the ideas of so many people. And, of course, I was excited to see a woman make it to the final two candidates for the Democratic nomination. And with the other candidate being an African-American, I knew that history was in the making. And when McCain picked Gov Palin as his running mate, the world could see that too.

I will say that elections bring out the worst in people. Over the last two years I have heard covert racism and blatant sexism. Both of which truly saddened me. I am surprised to see both still alive in the 21st century. I ask the people who have used the B word to describe both Senator Clinton and Governor Palin, would you like to hear that said about your mother. It is not funny and it is certainly not okay.

I have heard that there has been a record turn out today and they are predicting at least 70%. There has not been turn out like this in 100 years, though they came close in the 60's. So many people are waiting in line for hours because they know they can make a difference. It gives me hope for our future. So, tonight I will be watching the return and history being made. I hope that you will too.

No comments: