Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone. So, what color are you wearing? I'm wearing orange. Most people around here do not even think about it, but the green for St Patrick's Day comes from the green in the Irish flag which represents the Catholic population in Ireland. The other colors are Orange for the Protestant population and white for Peace. Those of you who read this blog know I am a very proud Lutheran. So from time to time I wear orange on St Patrick's to show my pride in that. And according to this article more people are. We were in Raleigh this weekend and saw part of the St Patrick's parade up there. While we were watching I saw a spectator and his two sons, all three wearing bright orange scarves! Glad to see more Proud Protestants out there.
Of course, I sent the girls to school in green. I didn't want to explain all of this to a room of toddlers and a room of 4 year-olds. And in writing this I am reminded of this sign we saw in Ireland.

So no matter who you are or what color you are wearing, Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments: