Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Mommy, where is heaven?

Jena is at the age where she asks A LOT of questions. She is starting to put things together and is starting to ask the questions we knew would come, but were never sure how to answer. These are the questions about our parents that are no longer with us. See, our girls only have one living grandparent, my mom. Death and heaven are hard to explain to a 3 year old.

The conversation starts off simply enough.

Jena: Your my Mommy and your name is Michelle. And Roger is my Daddy. Mommy, who is your mommy?
Me: Well, that is your grandma.
Jena: Mommy, who is your daddy. (now the tricky part)
Me: My daddy is your grandpa and his name is Rodney. And he is in heaven.
Jena: Mommy, where is heaven?
Me: Heaven is where God is.
Jena: Is it nice there?
Me: I hope so.

We have shown her pictures of her grandparents and keep telling her about them. But she keeps asking these same questions. Sometimes to me and sometimes to Roger. Hopefully she will understand soon and we will learn from this for when Lily asks the same questions.

No comments: