Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Saturday, December 06, 2008

It is better to give

Jena has been very into birthdays lately, I think it is the cake. But she keeps talking about her birthday and getting presents. Roger and I are both concerned about the girls getting spoiled, so this year we talked to Jena about giving to people who do not have everything that we do. She has lots of toys, so I explained to her that other children are not as lucky. We got an angel from the angel tree at my gym. I tried to find a little girl Jena's age, but I found a boy instead. We went out last night and went shopping for him. Jena wasn't too interested in clothes for him, but I had fun because I don't get to shop for little boys. But she and Roger had fun with the toys. Roger was very clear about who the toys are for. And we made sure we didn't buy anything this trip for the girls. This was about buying for someone else. She seemed okay with it for now. We will see how she is when we drop them off. She doesn't quite understand yet, but I think giving is an important thing for both girls to learn. Especially right now when we see so many people in the area in need.

No comments: