Raising two little girls in an ever changing world

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Going "Home"

They say you can never go home again, and I know after all these years that is true. It is just never the same. Friends move and places change. Roger picks on me when I call Augusta "home" but I think it is one of the longest times I've lived in one place (11 years) and I know our old house was the longest I lived in one house (8 years). And Roger and I grew up there. We went from young military/college students to job holders/homeowners to parents in our time there.

While Roger was at training this past weekend, Jena and I went to Augusta. And I was surprised at some of the changes that have happened since we've left. For starters, my favorite restaurant is now closed. I will forever be traumatized. And our friends David and Melissa have a new baby girl! And yet, the more things change the more they stay the same. The flowers were blooming and everyone was readying for the Masters. I went by my old office at MCG and there were folders there with my hand writing on them. I know it has only been a year and a half since I left MCG, but to me that was a lifetime ago. We got to see many old friends and had a great time.

What struck me the most was how at home I felt. I still knew where everything was and once even tried to drive to my old house on accident. The car just wanted to go that way. We seemed to run into people we knew everywhere we went. Even people we had not seen in quite awhile. And everyone was so friendly. I'm used to older women saying hi to Jena, but there everyone did. At ASU, a young male college student had an entire conversation with Jena in the elevator. It really struck me because while people are polite enough in Fayetteville, I can't remember the last time someone really engaged us. Mostly we get the passing hello. And while we have made good friends here, it isn't quite the same yet. So while we live in North Carolina, I know for Roger and I, Georgia will always be "home."


Hanging out with Avery and Haley

No comments: